A global leader in laser diffraction instrumentation for over 40 years
By continuously improving the instrument technology, Microtrac offers customers a robust portfolio of laser diffraction instruments that’s ideal for particle sizing and characterization.
Particle size measurement by laser diffraction (LD) technology has become the most used technique research and industry wide, among both suppliers and users of particulate systems. It’s become a de facto standard for outgoing and incoming size quality control, reporting the equivalent spherical diameter (ESD) in volume % over a typical range of 10 nanometers to 2-3 millimeters.
In a laser diffraction measurement, a laser beam is passed through a well-dispersed particle sample and particle size is measured by detecting the intensity of the scattered light produced. In Microtrac’s technology, this scattered light is measured at various angles up to 163 degrees. Small particles scatter light at large angles while large particles scatter light at small angles relative to the laser beam. The data is collected continuously throughout the measurement, is analyzed and put through an algorithm using Microtrac’s innovative modified Mie scattering theory and produces accurate particle size distributions for both spherical and non-spherical particles.
What sets Microtrac’s laser diffraction instruments apart:
- Patented tri-laser design utilizing all red lasers, all blue lasers or a combination. These different configurations give better accuracy depending on the size of your particles
- Fixed optics with solid state laser diodes provide long-lasting ruggedness, reliability, and requires zero stabilization time
- Fourier optical system delivers the optimal pattern of light by assuring that the angle of incidence is constant
- Always-on volume direct detectors are collecting light throughout the entire measurement, providing the most amount of data for analysis and reporting
For more information on Microtrac’s Laser Diffraction portfolio, please click the links below.
S3500 – One, two, or three red lasers for cost effective particle size analysis plus flexible upgrade options
Bluewave – One red and two blue lasers for great resolution as well as widest particle size distribution analysis capability on the market
Check out this presentation which will provide guidance on how to select the right laser diffraction particle size analyzer:
We make identifying agglomeration or taking a first principle look at outliers easy
– watch to learn more about the benefits of visual validation, for when size measurements is not enough:
Learn how to blend sieve and diffraction data by checking out this presentation:
Speak with a technical specialist today about our innovative laser diffraction particle size solutions.
|Click here to request more info|